Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Saying Goodbye to Grandpa

My absence from blogging for awhile...

Last Friday was a very hard day as myself and my family had to say good-bye to a remarkable person who had a great influence in my life. I know I should be very grateful that as someone like myself in their late 30's got to know her Grandfather. I know many people have not had the same opportunity of time to spend with a grandparent. My Grandpa F. was my last grandparent alive and the feeling is very bitter sweet. My Grandma died 14 years ago and I know since her death my Grandpa has missed her dearly(as we have). He'd often talk about her and their wonderful 50+ years together. The girl in the big white brim hat with the red lips he'd often say when he would tell us stories of the first time he laid eyes on her. He married the woman of his dreams!

I have so many fond memories of him. My Grandpa loved the earth as he was a farmer for almost all of his life. He practically lived in his garden and was so proud of that up to the day he died. When my siblings and I would spend weekend trips at my Grandparents house we'd play at the farm all day. At the end of the day my Grandma would get us ready for bed but, not until my Grandpa made popcorn and a chocolate malt for us. Spoiled, right? I traveled out west to Arizona and Nevada with him when I was 25 years old and he was the best flying travel partner ever. I got to spend a full week with him and I cannot tell you how much I loved that time together with him.

He had 7 children, 21 grandchildren and 21 great-grandchildren. Now that is something to be proud of!

I miss your sweet smiling face already. See you and Grandma in heaven someday Grandpa F.


No comments:

Post a Comment